Thursday, February 16, 2012

DIY: Name Blocks!!

I have been recently getting into the crafting world!! I Love making blocks, usually personalized with names for kids and family!   They turn out really cute and make a great accent to any room! They are also very easy to make. I make mine from 2x4's and sand them to a smooth touch. I then paint the wood with a basic acrylic paint.  Using Scrapbook paper and a CRICUT machine, I cut out the background layer and the letter. Once the painted wood has dried, I Then  use mod podge to glue the scrapbook paper to the wood. Last step: After the mod podge is dry I use a Mod Podge Acrylic Sealer and spray on an even coat!
Note: If ever shipping or giving as a gift, DO NOT wrap in tissue paper, tends to stick, even days after they are made, I have found that wax paper works the best.


Ways to Save Money on this project:
For wood- If you know anyone who works in lumber yard, or does construction, ask them to save their extra wood, Sometimes you can even get them to cut into the size to need, i do 3" & 4" tall blocks.
For Paint- Often Home Depot, Lowes, and other home improvement stores sell their "mess up" paints for very cheap! Check the paint department. In today's case, my fiance found a box at Home Depot loaded with "tester" paints!  They were letting them go for $.10 each. He scored the whole box for $10. Best gift ever, I ended up with 180 new paints all sealed and with their own paintbrish! So just keep your eyes open! Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment